Profile Picture

Artex Development and a Systems Redesign

by mathhulk (Administrator) on June 29th, 2017

Well, it has DEFINITELY been a while since I have written a post. A lot of things have been happening in both my personal life and with the projects I work on. First of all, I would like to thank all the developers and users that have helped me with the following updates and releases. Anyways, I am not here to waste your time (well, don't all of these blog posts waste your time?), so let's get right into this.

Artex Development
The development team first started over a year ago. I started the team with some fellow web developers, but eventually hired more team members and branched off into more development fields. However, due to poor management and a lack of efficiency and a want to continue the team, it closed down soon after. The developers that had become close friends of mine went off in their own directions and I have not been very active with them since. 

Since then, I have a come a long way. I have become a part of a multitude of projects and just could not work on all of them by myself. Because of this, I have again started the team with a brand new set of members. As of right now, the team includes myself a fellow developer and friend of mine named AL_1. I originally got to know AL_1 when he kindly donated two domains to MH-DNS and instantly became a part of the community. Afterwards, AL_1 continued to support the community, eventually creating a Java hook for the developer API. Because of his contributions, he was my first pick for the team.

More information on the team can be found at dev.theartex.net. (in development)
Some of our public projects can be found on our GitHub organization page.
We have also started a Discord guild for the community.

Developer API
Work on the developer API has been going well. With the help of suggestions from fellow community members, the API has received numerous updates and new features. When it was first being created, the developer API had no real error code documentation. Because of this, the error codes only created confusion and offered no form of help whatsoever. However, the API now supports the correct HTTP status codes. A list of them can be found at restapitutorial.com. Along with this, some sections of the API now require certain request methods. All sections of the API accept POST requests, but some no longer accept GET requests. More information on this can be found at theartex.net/documentation

The following is a list of some more specific updates:

  • The Minecraft API has been moved to its own database
  • "val" is no longer returned in the login section of the API
  • username and ID converter sections have been added
  • the records and pastes sections now show IDs
  • the pastes section now has the correct links
  • "gravatar" is now returned in the login section of the API
  • sections returning data now use "retrieved" as the success term


Accounts
The security of accounts is my highest concern. Because of this, the hasing of passwords has been changed to SHA-512. Because of this, all users have received emails with new passwords and it is suggested that they change their password immediately. 

Codity
When Codity was first created, syntax highlighting when making or editing pastes was not supported. However, this has changed. The use of Ace, syntax highlighting for over 110 programming languages, is now available for both creating and editing pastes. Along with this, Codity now uses a more user friendly URL structure for accessing pastes and raw data. To access a paste, users can now visit a URL such as c.theartex.net/%id% and c.theartex.net/raw/%id% for raw data.

Back-end Systems
The system I was using for the back-end of my sites was fairly inefficint. After seeing a system that AL_1 came up with for managing files and requests, I immediately switched over to it and made some of my own edits. As of right now, theartex.netmathhulk.mebonuspoint.org and skript.theartex.net are using this system and dev.theartex.net is soon to be too. Many users won't really notice a different except for friendly URLs. This means that the URLs no longer contain file extensions, such as .php. The links will look like theartex.net/system/profile instead of theartex.net/system/profile.php

Various Updates

  • issues with the front-end has been fixed on all sites
  • the back-end has been commented, beautified and cleaned up on all sites
  • a search feature has been added to mathhulk.me/projects
  • search functions have become more efficient


There is a lot in store for the community. I can't wait to release various new updates, sites, projects and features! 

Comments

You are not logged in. Please login to comment.

No comments could be found for this post. Be the first to comment.